Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Tennessee-Florida Game 9-20-08

Alright, this post will be light on words and heavy on photos. I've got a ton of work on my plate, but I needed to get these images moved out of the way so they're jumping to the front of the blog line.

Last Friday, I was contacted by a magazine in Florida to cover the Tennessee-Florida game. I jumped at the chance since that's one of the few things I miss about working at a newspaper. I covered UT games every year for 10 years while working at the Daily Beacon and the Daily Times, so last year was a little sad for me since it was our first year doing this full time and I didn't get an opportunity to shoot a game all season. Danielle said I was like a kid in the candy story Friday night preparing for the game!

Yeah it was a sucky game if you're a Vol fan, but I was just stoked to be back on the field again, deafened by the roar of the crowd and roasted by the afternoon sun. I have to admit, it was a little strange focusing on the visiting team instead of my alma mater, but I got some great images nonetheless (it helped that Florida beat the crap out of the Vols).

Here are a batch of some of my favorites (although I wanted to show you all 1200 I shot):

[NOTE: Remember that we own the copyright to these photos. DO NOT steal these pics and use them anywhere else. I hate that I have to say that, but I've found my photos of the Eric Berry and Aryan Foster scattered all over the net since my blog post a few months ago about a freelance assignment for another magazine. Don't steal. It isn't cool. And I really don't want to have to hunt you down. Thanks!]

I'll start off with a little self-portrait. A BIG thanks goes to my buddy Patrick Murphy-Racey for loaning me a 400 (that's the big white lens you see there). I sold off my biggest telephoto lens long ago because I couldn't justify keeping such an expensive hunk of glass when I just wasn't using it that often. Yeah, I could have gotten by with what I have, but I wouldn't have gotten nearly the amount of great moments without this lens. Thanks again Pat!


Four separate frames from the student section.


The Honor Guard prior to kickoff.


Alright, here's where I'm going to slack off. Instead of taking the time to tell you every guy's name, rank, and serial number, I'm just going to let the photos do the talking.








The Vol is Brandon Warren... I covered him when he played at Alcoa a few years ago.


Gettin' stuffed. This pretty much sums up the Vols Saturday.


Everyone always asks me what it's like being down on the sidelines. It's work. A lot of kneeling, running up and down the sideline toting heavy gear, dealing with morons who shouldn't be there, the heat, the noise, the pressure to get "the play"... it's not easy that's for sure. But it's still a ton of fun! Here's the view during a timeout.




























There you go. I hope you enjoyed them (better than the game at least). Be sure to let me know what you think. Maybe things will start to look up for the Vols this season. And maybe I'll get hired to shoot more games. I certainly wouldn't mind!

-Wes

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay . . . I'm gonna admit (in Vol country) that I'm not a big football fan (but if I were, I'd be all-Vol, of course!) But seeing your shots, Wes . . . I think I was hooked on football after the second or third field shot! These are AWESOME!! Love 'em, love 'em! And that 400 is suh-weet!

Jason said...

Dude, these photos are great. Of course the game was great too! Hope all is well back home. Now back to island time for me - Jason

Lindsay said...

Awesome pics Wes! The FL mag should be way happy with those!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if we can ever be friends again... really??? You took a job for the gators?? the GATORS... do you realize that people have been banned from Neyland for less than that!?!?!?!? Ohh.. alright...we'll be friends again. The pictures are Great, but I could do without so much orange and blue....

Erin M said...

I don't really care about College Football and I really don't like the Vols (bring it), but I loved these pictures. It's amazing to me that you can get so much clarity and action when your subjects are moving around so much. I can't even get a decent picture of ZZ chasing a ball in a park. I'm in awe.

Anonymous said...

Wes- These pictures are WONDERFUL in so many ways! My Dad went to UF an raised me a Gator fan right here in Knoxville. : ) Job well done!!!! CHOMP-CHOMP -Jaclyn

Anonymous said...

These were definitely MUCH better than the game:) Great job!!

Anonymous said...

I came for baby pics and got gator pics. The orange chests are really fun, but that game wasn't.

Wes Hope said...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Blog Archive

Visitors

Search Our Blog

© Hope Photography - All content on this website is copyrighted. Don't be an image thief! Contact owner for usage agreements: info@hope-photo.com