Friday, May 23, 2008

The Bigger They Are, the Harder They Fall

Ready for a sad tale? Yours truly, all 6'5" 300 lbs of me took a tumble Tuesday night. I still don't know exactly how it happened so don't ask. All I remember was a gasp and the need to put my arms in front of me as the landing came toward me fast. Instincts being what they are and all I stuck both hands out to break my fall and landed that way.

The great thing is that I didn't break my neck. The bad thing is that your forearms aren't designed to take that kind of shock (at least not when you're old like I am). Essentially, the radius crashed into the humerus creating a fracture on the head of the radius. Little bone meet big bone; big bone wins. Here's a diagram I found online.

The pain was unlike anything I have ever experienced in my life. After I nearly passed out during the x-ray process at the ER, Danielle commented that she might let me off the hook with the whole "men don't know pain like giving birth" argument. I'm pretty sure the x-ray tech got her training during the Spanish Inquisition.

But that wasn't the worst part. While we were waiting on the ER doc's diagnosis, Danielle and I were praying that they were just sprained or bruised. When he came back and told us that both radius' were fractured, my heart broke. That meant we would have to do something we haven't had to do in the 8 years of photographing weddings; tell a bride and groom that we wouldn't be able to photograph their wedding. We have two coming up- Kate and Chris' this weekend in Robbinsville and then Emily and Andrew's next week in Knoxville. Both of them are great couples and their weddings promised to be stellar. And now we're going to miss them. :(

The first thing Wednesday morning, we started calling all our photographer friends to find out if anyone was open on such short notice. We are so blessed to have such a tight-knit group of friends! Tara Kneiser (Dixie Pixel) and Steven Bridges had availability and were gracious enough to rearrange some engagement sessions in order to help us out. So a HUGE THANK YOU to both Tara and Steven. We are seriously indebted to the two of you and cannot even begin to express our gratitude for all they are doing.

We are also blessed with very understanding clients! We have always said that we do have a backup network of photographers in the event something were to happen to us and we weren't able to photograph the wedding. But, like us, I'm sure the brides never think that it could actually happen. Kate, Chris, Emily and Andrew said they completely understood and we made sure they are in good hands with Tara and Steven. So to our couples to whom this has impacted, a big THANK YOU to you too. We know that weddings can be a tense event to plan and I hate that something like this has happened and that we've created a hiccup, but thankfully you all will have some of the best photographers in the Tennessee area taking our place.

We also have to say a huge Thank You to our church family. They have really helped out a lot, from cooking and bringing us meals so that Danielle doesn't have to cook, to giving us money (since our livelihood is on hold until I can use a camera), to even coming and mowing our yard. We are truly blessed!

So what does this mean for me? In the past couple days I've seen my mobility increase in both arms. I can feed myself with my left hand and do little things like push my glasses back up my nose and scratch my face when it itches. But Danielle still has do a lot for me because I simply can't move my arms without pain. Having someone else brush your teeth is a weird experience, let me tell you! But it's been tiring for her since she's just a little bit pregnant and all. She's such a wonderful wife!! Our 8th anniversary is Tuesday and I'm really testing out the "for better or for worse part of our vows".

The orthopedic doctor told me that I did have a simple fracture which was the best kind to have. No surgery, no casts. Hopefully within 2 weeks I should have full mobility back, but it could still be a little while before I can handle any weight. Which means no cameras and no Maddie. We've postponed several upcoming portraits sessions (thanks to those understanding families too!!), but luckily I can tolerate working on the computer. That means getting caught up on the last few sessions and weddings. And some housekeeping like getting our website updated.

Please keep us in your prayers and thoughts. And give your elbows a kiss tonight... you never know how much you need them until they're taken out of commission.



All the best,
Wes

19 comments:

Delane said...

Wes...sorry to hear about your accident. Take care while you're out of commission.

Delane

Julie Roberts said...

oh - im SO heartbroken for you!!! i can not imagine what you're going through. please let me know if I can help out in any way.

Anonymous said...

We love you so much, but the picture makes us laugh. =) Sorry... but it does. I'm sure you were trying to be all "Indiana Jones" when this happened right?? It's ok to admit it.
We look forward to rescheduling our Trash-the-Dress session. Although.. it was hard to break the news to my dress... it understood. Get well soon!

The Saunders

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! Hope your recovery is smooth and quick!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's terrible!!!! I hope that you are 100% again reall soon, bu please let me know if there is anything I can do to help as well.

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club you don't want to be in. Those ER x-rays suck, huh? Glad it's "simple". Sounds like this will all be just a bad memory before too long.

Rak

Anonymous said...

Boo, Wes!!! What a painful process all around...I hope you are feeling better and pray for your quick recovery. Can we do anything for you? We miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Heal up fast Wes!

I just can't imagine missing a wedding but now you have me thinking about all the things that can happen. Crap!

pkjustice31 said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're welcome!!

The wedding rocked. Easiest wedding EVAR (as said by comic book guy)! The bride and groom were so awesome, and Beth and Steve each get gold stars for being incredibly cool assistants!

I survived the dragon too, even though I had to pull over a couple of times to let people pass me!

I'd do it again in a heartbeat if you needed me to. Get better soon!

Chris Mielke said...

Wes...sad picture. Looks as though at some point you will be up an around and shooting again and that is great news!! Although we missed your unique sense of humor...Tara was wonderful...can't wait for you to see the pictures she put some surprises in there for you! We were thinking about you and Tara was wonderful...Steve and Beth were also great.

Get better we are thinking about you!!

Anonymous said...

OUCH! Wes-sorry I could not help out this weekend-but let me know if you guys need anything else-I am pretty open til the end of June. Prayers for a QUICK healing of those elbows.

And yeah, it does kinda look like a straight jacket.. :)

Anonymous said...

Now we truly got something in common! At least your not coming out of a coma and talkin' out your, (well, you know where) thank God! You will truly appreciate the sinple things in life more after realizing what it's like when movement of your limbs is stripped away! Get well soon "Big Guy!"

~Quinn

Anonymous said...

Bummer man, get well soon!

Anonymous said...

That has to be the most pitiful picture I've ever seen! Thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery; for your sake & Danielle's!

Sandra said...

Wow, Wes that stinks! Get well soon!

Kelly Vasami said...

Wes & Danielle - that's terrible!! :( My thoughts and prayers and well wishes are with you. Thank God for that backup support network, right?

Unknown said...

You guys could have called me too. I had this Saturday open till this morning and I would have been happy to help shoot. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys out. I'm so sorry that you're having to through this.

Thám tử Thành Đạt said...

thue tham tu, dich vu tham tu

Blog Archive

Visitors

Search Our Blog

© Hope Photography - All content on this website is copyrighted. Don't be an image thief! Contact owner for usage agreements: info@hope-photo.com