Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Foto February : Three Completely Different Assignments

Back again with another multi-post from the Foto February project. I know we're into March now, but being busy is a good thing. And we've been slammed with meetings, a bridal show at Whitestone Inn, some freelance assignments, and getting ready for a last minute spring break trip. So while I'm done shooting the Foto February projects, I still have a couple more posts to do after today's.

One of the coolest things about this project has been the variety that has come my way. And these three exemplify that.

First up is a little bit of reality. A friend of mine, Jacene, from back in my Einstein Simplified days emailed asking for some photos of her mother, who is in a nursing home in Lenoir City with late stage Alzheimer's. She asked me to try and get a decent portrait of her mother and I asked if I could also capture their interaction together as well. It was a touching and heartfelt assignment; one that hits home as Danielle's grandmother is also in a nursing home.

Jacene helps her mother, Pat, reposition in a wheeled chair.


Jacene's son, John, brushes his grandmother's hair back.


A daughter's touch.




Going for a walk.


Pat's portrait.


Thank you, Jacene, for letting me be witness to a small part of your story. :)


Moving on to some farm life. Emily and her daughter Rachel both emailed (not knowing the other did so) about coming out and photographing their family's farm. So since they both were adamant about it, I thought it must be worth it. ;) We actually know Emily through Maddie's school… she's one of the kindergarten teaching assistants. She's a nut. And I think that's why we get along so well.

The farm is the passion of Emily's husband, Robby (who just had surgery on his elbow), and their son, Lucas.


Mom's going to be so mad when she finds out you got your nose pierced!


The cattle they farm are a breed known as Gelbvieh. Don't worry, I had never heard of them either. To us non-farmers, a cow is a cow. But to the Waters', it's a specialized breed, with a defined progeny. They love these cows and know more about each one than I probably know about my own kids.




Lucas with his prize bull, Dozer.


A quickie family photo.


Setting out hay, an all-you-can-eat buffet for the cows.


What are you looking at, punk?




More hay at a different spot.


Get off my lawn!


Emily made a joke about me being able to make a cow pretty. Well, I think this is a beautiful cow. Thanks Waters family for letting me play farmer for an afternoon!



And now for something completely different. Brooke, who was a bride of a wedding I helped our friend, Tara Kneiser of Dixie Pixel, shoot a few years ago, emailed me asking me if I wanted to photograph her in a trapeze class. Wait, what? Trapeze? In Knoxville? I was intrigued!

It turns out she and her sister bought Groupons for "Try Me" classes at Dragonfly Aerial Arts. Dragonfly is a nonprofit studio teaching trapeze and aerial skills put together by a group of aerial performers in the area. Right now, they're in a temporary location in a warehouse in south Knoxville, but that doesn't stop them from teaching some head over heals action.

Instructor Lissa McLeod starts off showing how to hang from the bar.


Brooke's sister, Katie, gets the hang of it.


Now she's just showing off.


Brooke watches so she can give it a go. I was amazed at how she and her sister, the first time either of them had ever done anything like this, would watch Lissa do it once, and then they both took off and did it like pros.


Ta-daa!




They asked me to give it a try, but I didn't want to show them up.


They moved from the trapeze bars over to fabric.


Lissa took to new heights to show them some advanced maneuvers.


A special thanks to everyone who opened their doors and let me in for these assignments! I have two more to post; some cool yoga photos and I'm saving what will probably be everyone's favorite for last… a bunch of cool pooches!!

1 comments:

Julie said...

Those are all awesome, but the first one made me sob like a baby. Two things I hate with a passion, cancer and Alzheimers. What a beautiful set of photographs. I'm sure that the daughter will treasure these photographs. <3

Blog Archive

Visitors

Search Our Blog

© Hope Photography - All content on this website is copyrighted. Don't be an image thief! Contact owner for usage agreements: info@hope-photo.com