Monday, January 12, 2009

We Have a New Look (in more ways than one)!!

Well? Look around, what do you think? Pretty spiffy, huh? I've been hard at work all week getting some much needed updates done to our website and giving our awesometastic (new word) blog a facelift. Among the blog changes are the single column layout so we can show you BIGGER images and a cool rotating header (of course, bigger photos and the center column mean all the old posts are going to look a little funky. Anyone want to volunteer to go through all the posts from last year and fix them?).

And I finally have our website updated with a bunch of our best images from 2008. If you haven't checked it out, scoot on over there right now (well after you read this post) and check it out! The site is also going to get a much needed facelift and some layout changes over the next week or two. I also have a couple slideshows to add to our featured weddings section too. So the work isn't done yet! Here's what it looks like right now:

www.hope-photo.com



And in other news, Sunday was the day our new advertisement debuted in Premier Bride magazine. I think I'll show it to you first and then explain our thoughts behind it after. So buckle up...






Prepare yourself...






This is easily going to be the funniest/most shocking thing you'll see this week...





(I still can't believe I did this).









Alright. Breath. Wipe your coffee off your keyboard. And read about why yours truly is in a wedding gown.

Most of you know we've been in the wedding business for 8 years now. Up until 2 years ago, we had relied solely on word-of-mouth referrals. But as we made the decision to transition from a part-time business to a full-time business we felt we needed to advertise with everyone else in the local bridal magazine, Premier Bride. It seemed like the logical thing to do. You advertise, spread the word, business grows. And it did. Somewhat.

Earlier in the year I was brainstorming about what we could do to make our ad more effective. I had noticed that when you flip through the magazine, all the ads had a tendency to run together. It was beautiful bride in a field, beautiful bride next to a fence, beautiful bride with her flowers, beautiful bride on a wall, etc. We needed something to make us stand out from the ever-growing pack. Something that really let brides know that we're not your average photographer. We're fun. And we like to have fun.

So that led me to reflect on one of the funniest running gags in comedy... dudes in dresses. Milton Berle, the boys of Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, Saturday Night Live. I thought it was brilliant. I thought it was insane. I thought it would be hilarious and a page stopper. I thought Danielle would shoot the idea down faster than my dress could be zipped.

She didn't. She loved it. And that's when I got scared. I was going to actually have to wear a wedding dress. What was I thinking?

And then fate stepped in. Or stumbled down some steps. We were all set up to do the shoot in May (for the August edition of the magazine). Dress lined up. Bouquet arranged. Friend's studio borrowed. And then in a split-second blur I fractured both of my elbows (sad story really... if you haven't heard the tale, check it here). I thought I was off the hook! But my lovely little wife wouldn't let me get off that easy. So when the deadline approached for the January edition, she started making calls. And the dude in a dress was back on.

Before I go on, we do have to give a big thanks to Lisa Foster for the bouquet and the boutonnière, to the girls at Wedding Wonderland for loaning me the dress (I'm a size 28 apparently. Who knew?), and to our buddy Jason Davis for loaning us his garage to shoot in. You all rock!

Now does this mean that we don't take weddings seriously? Please! Of course we do. Look at our work. I think it speaks for itself. But weddings are also supposed to be fun. And we're fun people (or so we've been told). So why not have a little fun with our ad? And you know what I have an even greater appreciation for what our brides go through... those dresses are not easy to get in to and they weigh a bloody ton!

I hope you like it and I hope you like the new look of the blog. Please drop us a line and let us know if a) the blog looks good b) the blog looks like crap or it looks weird in your browser c) you think I've committed career suicide by donning a wedding gown (no presidential campaigns in my future, that's for sure) or d) you want to tell me how hard you laughed thus drawing strange looks from your coworkers and family. Just click on "comments" below and you can tell us all about it.

Check back soon... I'll keep you updated on the website makeover this week. And I still have a few sessions to get online from 2008! I am super excited about 2009... we've got some big things planned that I can't wait to share with you all!!

-Wes

12 comments:

Jason said...

The blog looks great man...and so do you... As we've talked before, I think this will be a good thing and yes, people will remember Hope Photo in a good way. Hard work pays off and you've done some hard work with the site and the blog. Here is to a rock'n 2009. - J

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! And you look great in a dress. ;-)

Anonymous said...

My Response is...
A and D

Great job guys, I love it! Can't wait till I get my ring and can meet with you about shooting my wedding!
Kristal

Wes Hope said...

Thanks for the comments so far!

Kristi, your story was in this issue of Premier Bride that just came out yesterday. Let me know if you need a few copies... we have plenty! And you and Shane are going to be one of our featured weddings on the website that *hopefully* will be done this week. :) I didn't want you to see the newly updated site and wonder where you guys are.

Kristal, do I need to have a talk with your man about the ring thing? I'll wear the dress if it will scare him.

Jason, same to you brother!

Anonymous said...

Wow....

I think that pretty much sums it up.


Stephanie

Wes Hope said...

Steph, if I loan you my camera, can we do a trash the dress with me?

And you and Rob are the other featured wedding in the slideshows once I get it done! And, do you need extra copies of Premier Bride? Your story is in there too. Let me know.

Kelly Vasami said...

I wouldn't expect anything less from you two! ;)

My one little request: can you expand your feed settings in Blogger? I only see your abbreviated feeds in my reader (i.e. - I read two sentences and then it cuts off), and all it takes is one little click in your Blogger settings to change it. Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

This is the most unique ad I've ever seen! Love, Love Love it! You guys rock!

Kelly Vasami said...

Just looked up how to do it:
From Blogger Dashboard > Settings > Site Feed > Allow Blog Feeds > Full (instead of short or none)!

Thanks again! :)

Anonymous said...

Wes-
I think you in the dress would scare him but I'm not sure it would achieve the right thing. lol

He keeps saying "soon" and "not much longer" but apparently his meaning of soon and not much longer are much different than mine! All I have to say is his "plans" better be mighty spectacular to keep putting me through this!

The Runyans said...

this is TOO funny. i saw your "pic" on the meeting on Tina's facebook site, and had to see what in the world was going on?

How funny........this will DEFINITELY draw in more brides!

he he!

Unknown said...

This made me laugh first and then think "I'm so glad they are shooting my wedding!". Great idea!

And Wes, I'm just glad that your dress size is bigger than mine.... :)

Blog Archive

Visitors

Search Our Blog

© Hope Photography - All content on this website is copyrighted. Don't be an image thief! Contact owner for usage agreements: info@hope-photo.com